BURN SEASON IS OPEN UNTIL NOVEMBER 15
PLEASE READ BEFORE BURNING
- All burning in the New Harmony Fire District must be in accordance with Washington County Code: Title 4 Chapter 4
- Section 1A – Burning Permit Required: Subject to the exceptions in this chapter, persons shall obtain a county burning permit before starting a fire in the unincorporated areas of the county during the open fire season which is March 1 through May 30 and November 1 through November 15.
- Section 5 – During open fire season, the chief fire officer or official of each fire protection entity that is responsible for providing fire protection services in the unincorporated areas of the county shall be responsible for signing and issuing a burning permit, on forms provided by the county. No permits shall be issued by a county fire protection entity during closed fire season or when the clearing index is below 500. (Ord. 2014-1038-O, 5-20-2014)
- The clearing index must be 500 or greater. The clearing index is a measure of the atmospheric mixing and wind speed. A clearing index of 500 or less is considered poor atmospheric ventilation.
Click Here to check the clearing index, New Harmony is Air Shed 3.
How to obtain a burn permit
- Please go to https://washingtoncity.org/burn/permits.php
- All piles may be inspected prior to being issued a burn permit. And an Audit of the burn may be performed after the burn date.
- Materials to be burned must be thoroughly dry, NO trash, rubbish, tires, building materials, or oils included in the material to be burned, used to start fires, or used to keep fires burning.
- All burning must be extinguished before sunset
- Wind Speed must be below 15mph
- Burn MUST be monitored by a responsible adult
- Water MUST be available near burn