BURN SEASON IS OPEN UNTIL MAY 30th
PLEASE READ BEFORE BURNING
- All burning in the New Harmony Fire District must be in accordance with Washington County Code: Title 4 Chapter 4
- Section 1A – Burning Permit Required: Subject to the exceptions in this chapter, persons shall obtain a county burning permit before starting a fire in the unincorporated areas of the county during the open fire season which is March 1 through May 30 and November 1 through November 15.
- Section 5 – During open fire season, the chief fire officer or official of each fire protection entity that is responsible for providing fire protection services in the unincorporated areas of the county shall be responsible for signing and issuing a burning permit, on forms provided by the county. No permits shall be issued by a county fire protection entity during closed fire season or when the clearing index is below 500. (Ord. 2014-1038-O, 5-20-2014)
- The clearing index must be 500 or greater. The clearing index is a measure of the atmospheric mixing and wind speed. A clearing index of 500 or less is considered poor atmospheric ventilation.
Click Here to check the clearing index, New Harmony is Air Shed 3.
How to obtain a burn permit
- Please call the fire department a minimum of 24 hours before wanting a burn permit
- Call (435) 767-1893 to schedule a time for a firefighter to come out and inspect the burn pile and write you a permit.
- All piles must be inspected prior to being issued a burn permit
- Materials to be burned must be thoroughly dry, NO trash, rubbish, tires, building materials, or oils included in the material to be burned, used to start fires, or used to keep fires burning.
- All burning must be extinguished before sunset